Sunday, June 30, 2013

IN CHRIST ALONE (Ephesians central theme)

I find myself, once again, back in Ephesians...and once again, reminded of how much I love this book of the Bible.  There is so much to glean from this one book of the Bible, that it reminds me of a Reader's Digest Condensed Version of the Bible itself.

Before I began reading Ephesians again, this time, I read the intro to the book of Ephesians, found in my "Promise Keeper Men's Study Bible".  The author of this intro helped me see how many times the words, "in Christ" were used in the book of Ephesians.   So, as I read,  I found myself intentionally looking for all these references to being "in Christ", or other forms of the same thing, such as "in Him", "in the Lord", "in the One he loves", "in the Lord Jesus", and "in his mighty power".

After reading the whole book of Ephesians, with this theme in mind, and looking for the references...it reinforced how important it really is for us, as Christians, to not try and live this life in our own power and by our own means.   It is truly only in Christ that we can ever be what God wants us to be, or do what God wants us to do.  It is ONLY through Him, and His power that we can do all things (through Christ who strengthens us) and gives us the ability to do whatever He might have us to do.
 
Otherwise, all our efforts are in vain, futile, non-productive, and a complete waste of time...a waste of our very life, amounting to nothing.

BUT, in Him, we are able to be the very hands and feet and voice of God Himself.   That is an amazing thought, if you actually take a minute to think about it.   God, the One and only God, maker of everything we know, author of life itself...can allow us to act, speak, do things on His behalf and for His purposes.  A mind boggling thought if you dwell on it.   But, the important point is the realization of the fact that we can ONLY do anything in His power...nothing of our own...except maybe allowing Him to use us, and asking Him to use us.

Well, I know this is not real deep, nor is it a new or unique thought.   What it is though, is a reminder to myself, and maybe to anybody else reading this, that as a Christian, I have to continue to realize my utmost dependence upon God, and come to Him daily and let Him know that my devotion to Him is for real, that my dependence upon Him is huge, and that without His presence in my life...I can do nothing of any true and lasting value.  But, as I seek Him daily, and as He extends His presence and power into my life, my work, my family, my efforts, my friendships, my communication with others, my interaction with anyone and everyone...Life becomes fulfilling, blessed, worth living, with purpose, and everything it should be.

I am often moved emotionally by reading the Bible...but, I am also often moved, maybe even more, by music that speaks for the Bible or from the Bible.  So, I share this same thought, in music.

In Christ Alone - Owl City youtube (Owl City)

In Christ Alone - youtube video (Phillips, Craig, and Dean)

May God Bless,  

Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment